Thursday, February 10, 2011

Girls just wanna have fun!



This week is "Spirit Week" at Mary's school. From crazy hat day, to pajama day, it's been a fun week. Today is by far, as Mary would say, the best day ever! It's Blast from the Past day, and Mary has extensive knowledge of all things 80's. We kept going back and forth between who she wanted to look like. While I explained to her that she could just be Mary from the 80's, she wasn't going to have that. So, we are Cyndi Lauper today. Blondie and Pat Benetar came in close behind. Cyndi Lauper of course had the most make-up and crazy look out of the three. Mary was excited because she got to wear lots of make-up and big earrings. We had a lot of fun getting ready this morning.

I would love to be more like Mary. It's kind of funny, because Mary is very much like me in the self-esteem, confidence areas. However, I try to keep my insecurities to myself, avoiding certain situations at all costs, where as Mary is right out there with it all. Going to school this morning dressed the way she was, had her reeling. I could tell she was extremely nervous. I walked into school with her and she was obviously uncomfortable. All of her hand gestures and mannerisms scream "please don't look at me and laugh!". Only the wonderful, amazing thing about Mary, is that she wants to do it so badly, that she pushes through it all with a determination I can't quite explain. I actually read a book called "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway", you know what? Didn't help a bit! I may be able to push myself through some situations, but not to the degree that Mary does. As I've said before, we could all use a little Mary in us!

2 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

I love it! I have to give Mary tons of credit, but even I would be nervous to show up at school dressed differently. It is just a normal insecurity, I think, of kids that age. (I remember a bad highlight job in HS and I refused to go to school.) That girl definitely has some tenacity.

Zibilee said...

What an amazing little girl to feel the fear of doing something, yet go on and do it anyway. I also have some pretty big self esteem issues, and I wish I could take a page from Mary's playbook and just go for it. I hope she never loses this quality. It is beautiful.