Thursday, February 24, 2011

Moving out...

As you know, I have been trying to slowly give Mary some independence. While she is perfectly capable of caring for her body on her own, I have a hard time accepting that she is doing it properly. Mary has always showered, washed, and brushed up in our bathroom. There is a bathroom close to her room, but when she showers there, she tends to play, rather than clean. Not only that, but it's smaller and I can't get to her as easily, so she doesn't use it. I have just recently let her shower without any assistance, although, every once in a while I will wash her hair to make sure she is thorough. Even teeth brushing, I will go in and re-brush.

These last 2 weeks, I have been recuperating from gallbladder surgery. Piece of cake for me, but the first week I was unable to move as quickly as I usually do. With Mary being as developed as she is, my husband no longer has any roll in assisting her, so I just let go, and let her do it all.

At some point in the week, it hit me, this is not so bad. I realized how nice it was to not have to get up and get her moving. As a result of me not leading her, she made less of a fuss. Obviously, like all kids, she relished in the independence. So, I decided to move her officially and completely out of our bathroom. No more spit streaks in my sink! I went to the store and bought her some special little toiletries, and additional accessories for her bathroom. When Mary got home from school, I explained this all to her, I let her know how proud of her I was, and how much she is growing up. You should have seen her face light up.

Now, my evenings are a little less hectic, and Mary is a lot more cooperative about getting in the shower. I suppose these milestones happened with all of my children, but with Mary, it always feels like a physical force. I try to look at it as God's way of letting me see the importance in all of life's little things.

2 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

It is hard to let go, though, isn't it? But once you do it, it is a beautiful thing. Mary is really growing up, and she probably thinks this is just the cat's meow. See, getting rid of that gall bladder turned into something good!

Zibilee said...

Oh, I am so happy to hear that this turned out to be a blessing for both you and Mary! I bet it was hard for you to have to let go of doing these things for her, but since your health would not allow it for a short amount of time, it seemed that this transition took place sort of naturally. Maybe this was God's plan all along. I am glad to hear that Mary took to it like a duck to water, and that now you are able to let go of this responsibility a little more easily. This is a real milestone for both you and her, and I am happy it is working out!