Thursday, August 18, 2011

Loaded Question

One night, as my children and I were all dancing around and having fun, my very deep thinking son asked me a question. "Mom, do you ever wonder why God gave us Mary?". Along with that question he also asked why I think God made her that way. Do I ever wonder? What a loaded question! I don't think he was prepared for my reaction, but I am pretty sure he has a better understanding of all things Mary. What was my reaction? With tears in my eyes, and a huge smile on my face, I told him that God chose to give us Mary because he knew we were special, and would love and care for her with all our hearts. I then proceeded to admit to him my own struggles with that same question.

I told him of the endless amount of guilt I have suffered, the constant worrying, the praying, the sadness. Most of all the deep love, never resentment for her being different.
There is one particular Psalm in the Bible that I chanted over and over in my head.
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:13-14.

For me, these words have helped me to see myself, as well as Mary, wonderfully made. I explained to Jimmy, that God knew before we were all born, who we are going to be, and he must have thought we were pretty special to give us someone as wonderful as Mary. What a wonderful deep conversation we had. As I said, I think he got more than he bargained for. I also made him listen to a song that makes me think of Mary with a sense of peace, pride and joy. So, for your listening pleasure, I have included that song in this post. One of my all time favorite artists, saying exactly what I feel.



3 comments:

Zibilee said...

This is beautiful and I think you couldn't have expressed it in a more complete and miraculous way. Thank you for sharing this with me. It really touched me deeply.

Sandy Nawrot said...

I never doubt for a second why you have Mary. In my life, I know of no one family better able to care for her and love her. Your answer to Jimmy was perfection.

(Man, what up with Billy Joel's hair?!)

Marianne Murphy said...

You both made me cry! Thank you! I feel so blessed in so many ways.