Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Things Mary says...

It seems like forever since my last post. It has been a relatively calm summer around here so far. Thankfully. I feel like I've got my Mary back. Her attitude and behavior is the same as it always was. I have not (knock on wood) had any bizarre surprises. We have had her play with her friends a couple times this summer. I realized having someone to play with everyday made it impossible for her to keep herself entertained. Something she has always been able to do. Mary could spend the day, reading and playing in her room. I think she became obsessive about being with these 2 girls and that's when her behavior got out of wack.

Mary has always had her own way of saying things. We would call them Maryisms. It was so adorable when she was little. Now that she is older, it amazes me to see and hear how her brain tries to process things. I am just going to ramble on here a bit about some comments, so bear with me. The other day we were in the pool and she had a very serious look on her face. Then she asked me which was longer, the pool or the water. It took me a minute or two to try to figure out what she was talking about. I told her they were the same. As I said, it amazes me. To read all the evaluations and tests on her brain and what it is or is not capable of, and then see her try to figure something like this out.... I read an article the other day about how they are now realizing that the brain is not as hard wired as they thought. It is more elastic, I believe was the word. It stretches and changes shape, etc. I witness it everyday.

Mary has a language processing disorder, sometimes the words get scrambled. I could go on all day with examples, but will only list a couple. After seeing a movie she enjoyed, Mary stated she wanted to "re-see it". Makes perfect sense. Mary asked me to make her a "sunny fried egg" for breakfast. Again, makes sense. My all time favorite was when she stated she wanted to be a "human bodytologist" when she grew up. This after her seeing an episode of "Bones" with her sister. Most of what she says makes perfect sense, it's just a different way of saying things. Sometimes, I can watch her face change as she tries to figure out the correct way to say or ask for something. The change in her face must be due to the elasticity in her brain.

2 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

You need to write this stuff down! You could publish a book of it someday...

inactive said...

my daughter can be alot like that too sometimes...

New follower stopping by to say hello :)