Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Insights....or Musings?

Every once in a while I have these lightening bolt kind of insights, or musings, I don't know what to call them, regarding how I think Mary's mind works. As usual,. I am always astonished, and amazed that I have figured out a part of her that cannot be explained any other way. So, let me entertain you with my thoughts, as my husband has a tendency towards eye rolling whenever I try to humor him with my Maryisms.

Mary is boy crazy, not just boy crazy, boy crazy.. I was listening to her go on and on about a boy down the street, (a teenager of course), and it dawned on me that there is not anything she is saying, or anything she does regarding boys, that all girls don't at some point have going through their heads. I could remember myself, thinking of a boy constantly, staring at him, at his house, wanting to get closer in some way, any way. Finding out everything there is to know about him, etc.. However, we at an early age, begin to realize that this is not acceptable behavior. It's something we want to keep secret. We don't want anyone else to know how deeply in love we are with this person. I think it's a way to keep them all to ourselves. Well, that part of Mary's brain does not make that connection. Mary lives it all out, for everyone to see. I often think that God gives me these little insights to make it easier for me to talk to and understand her better. Now, when I am trying to get her to stop obsessing, I give her the old, everybody feels this way, but it may make the boy uncomfortable, blah blah blah. I feel better anyway, and I can only hope she is understanding.

On that same boy down the street. David drives a Chevy Trailblazer, Mary wants a Chevy Trailblazer. Not only is she now obsessing over this vehicle, she can spot one a mile away. O.K., this part of her mind is a mystery. I guess we need to leave some things a mystery. Whenever we are in the car, no matter what she may be doing, Mary can spot a Trailblazer. I have been driving for many years, I don't think I could recognize the make and model of a car, even if it were to run me over. Really? I mean there are several trucks that to me, look like Trailblazers. I can understand when she sees the Chevy symbol on the front, but there are quite a few Chevy type trucks on the road. Believe me, I have purposely verified with my own eyes that she is correct. Mary is like that with music as well. If there is a song Mary likes, she automatically knows some of the words, or at least gets the harmony and beat down to a t.
Now I have tried to have her listen to musical learning CD's, like Schoolhouse Rock, but for some reason, it's not the same. I think because she knows it's something that is supposed to help her learn, she unconsciously blocks it out? I don't know. For now, I am happy with whatever little lightening bolts God sends my way.

2 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

Interesting. Because we have all said "oh dear, Mary is so boy crazy" and we worry about her and stuff. But you are right, this is just another manifestation of her inhibitions. She isn't saying anything the rest of us haven't thought in our younger days. Still doesn't mean we can take our eye off the ball, but it does help to understand.

Zibilee said...

I think it's really very helpful that you now understand that what Mary is doing is not so different than the things you or I have done at some point in our lives. It probably makes it easier to relate to her, which, I think, can only be helpful. I think it's smart that you tell her that her behavior might make the boys she is anxious to talk to uncomfortable, as that is an argument that may work out in the long run. I am also glad that you got a lightning bolt about this!