Thursday, May 27, 2010

New set of wheels, continued.....


It has been pretty exciting around here the last couple of days. Mary is thrilled with her bike. The last 2 mornings she has gone out in her pajamas to ride her bike to the end of the driveway to get the newspaper. This would not be a problem if she had any concept of time! It's tough to get her going in the morning, especially when she has something in her head that she wants to do. I love to see her so excited, she went out this evening with her friends and rode around the neighborhood. I got no argument when I told her she had to put her shoes and glasses on!

We have also had Mary on full blast the last couple of days. The Dr. said to stop her ADD meds. We are switching her meds to see if she will stop the picking and ripping her clothes apart. So, I sent her to school the other day with a note warning the teachers. Mary is extremely talkative, jumping from one subject to the next when not on her medication. I sit anxiously waiting in the morning for it to kick in! We have started on a new prescription, but she is starting off on a low dose. It can be kind of amusing watching her sometimes. Actually, it is only amusing knowing it will not last. I don't know if I could handle that all the time. I admire those parents who won't medicate their children, and will try all kinds of other remedies to deal with ADHD. For me, adding the ADHD along with all her other quirky personality traits would lead me to a nervous breakdown for sure!

1 comment:

Sandy Nawrot said...

I will expect a bike-riding exhibition tonight!

I am generally an anti-medication person personally, but in certain instances I think parents can do their kids a disservice by not getting them the meds they need to get through the day. You are doing a great job!