Wednesday, June 2, 2010

EEG Results

I posted a while back about Mary's recent EEG. We have one every year, and this year I posted how I realized I had lost hope that the results would change. Well, guess what? We got a call today, that while her results were still abnormal, they had indeed changed. Of course, this is the story of my life. We don't get to see the Neurologist until Oct. so we have bits of information. It seems there was no seizure activity while Mary was awake, but there was while she was asleep. What exactly does that mean? Well, according to the nurse who called, it could mean it is possible she could outgrow the seizures. For me, this means it is one less pill I will have to give her. Considering her seizure meds may also possibly (love the words possible, possibly ) be affecting her behavior, who knows what will happen if she stops taking them. As I said, at one time all I wanted was for the seizure activity to go away, now I just want to know what to expect! I know I am asking too much, and I really have accepted that this is how it will always be, but still.....

Do I want her to suddenly wake up one day and be just like my three other children? I have to honestly answer no. I know that things are the way they are for a reason. My other children are better for seeing all that Mary struggles with. There is something wonderful in the saying "ignorance is bliss", because Mary, most of the time, is oblivious to what is going on around her. Yes, I know she is aware of more than I know, but she very quickly will happily move onto the next thing. And, as I have stated in a previous post, Mary is the most compassionate child I have ever seen. I believe, one day, she is going to do great things with all the love and compassion she has for others.

1 comment:

Sandy Nawrot said...

I think this is good news, right? Less seizure activity is better than more! Even if she stops having them, Mary will always be Mary I think. Which is a very good thing!